I’ve been really enjoying trying different salads for lunch and dinner. This recipe is living proof that salads don’t have to be boring or not filling. This one has a healthy dose of fats and carbs to satiate you and packs in lots of flavour.
The rice is mixed with cooked red onion, garlic, tomato puree, and a tin of mixed beans. Then topped off with a generous squeeze of lime juice.
The homemade tortilla chips are super easy and make the perfect accompaniment to this salad but I will definitely be making them again as a snack with some guacamole or homemade salsa!
Anyway let me know if you give this one a try!
Mixed bean, avocado and rice salad with homemade tortilla chipsCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
A healthy mixed bean, avocado and rice salad with homemade tortilla chips
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
3 white tortilla wraps
1/2 red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp smoked paprika
400g tin mixed bean salad, drained and rinsed
2 x 250g packets of cooked wholegrain basmati rice
juice of 1+ 1/2 limes
150g greek yogurt
2 large avocados
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Add the olive oil, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper to a small dish.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice each wrap into small triangles. Place over 2 large baking sheets and brush both sides of the triangles with the oil mixture, keeping the left over oil. Place in the oven for 8 minutes until golden, leave to one side, they will crisp up when cooling.
- Add the left over oil to a saucepan, add the diced red onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft, then add the minced garlic clove and sautee for a further minute before then adding the tomato puree and smoked paprika. Mix everything for a minute or two before adding the mixed beans cooking for a further 2 minutes to quickly coat the beans.
- Remove from the heat and tip the mixture into a large serving bowl. Add the cooked rice and juice of 1 lime, mix everything together to evenly coat.
- To make the yogurt dressing, add the yogurt to a small bowl with half a lime juice, a pinch of salt and pepper and 4 tbsp of water.
- Serve the mixed bean salad with tortilla chips, slices of avocado and the yogurt dressing for drizzling and dipping.
- Greek yogurt can be substituted for a dairy free yogurt to make this vegan friendly.