This is proper homemade comfort food, this Mac and cheese recipe is surprisingly easy to whip up and has an amazing cheesy flavour!
Vegan meals do not need to be boring or bland, if you get the right flavours and seasoning, a lot can be achieved. Thanks to the nutritional yeast and vegan parmesan you’ll easily fool anyone into thinking this is the real deal!
I made sure this recipe wasn’t dry! When I’ve made vegan Mac and cheese before the sauce almost dried up instantly, so this is SAUCY! Or should I say creamy, I’m not sure, but it is delicious!
When making the roux don’t worry about a few lumps here and there, that’s what the blender is for, to whizz it up into a perfectly creamy, cheesy sauce. I like to add a dash of cayenne pepper to mine, I like the depth it adds the dish, just that little punch of heat, but please feel free to leave this out.
Let me know if you make this recipe and tag me on Instagram and Facebook!
Vegan Mac and cheese
A fool proof creamy vegan Mac and cheese recipe.
300g dry penne pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
50g plain flour
500ml almond milk
20g nutritional yeast
50g parmesan cheese (dairy free)
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
20g panko breadcrumbs
- Place the pasta onto boil and cook as per packet instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce, add the minced garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the flour and 100ml of milk and whisk to make a roux. Then pour the remaining milk in and whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Carefully pour the sauce into a food blender (this will help get rid of any lumps) along with the nutritional yeast, parmesan, a good pinch of salt and pepper and the cayenne pepper. Blitz the sauce until smooth.
- Preheat the grill to high, then add the sauce back to the saucepan along with the pasta, heat for 3-4 minutes until just starting to thicken.
- Spoon the Mac and cheese into a suitable oven dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and grill for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe can be made with gluten free pasta.